The Clements Buckaroo's, today is made of many different programs. It is also filled with a rich history
that is outlined below. For Programs we have today, just click on a button.
The Clements Stampede has, in the past, made its mark as the largest nonprofessional competition of its
kind. It placed emphasis (and still does) on the traditional round-up type of competition. Participants were
cowhands and ranchers competing with their peers in events borne of the skills necessary in the working
world of the cowboy.
Three friends, sitting together in a country store and kicking ideas around, came up with a plan for a
pleasure riding club. Not being the sort to let a good notion lie around and grow moss, Lee Buck and Jack
Granlees, ranchers, and Art Burger, manager of the George R. Clements Merchandising Store, called a
meeting to see if others agreed with them.
It was early in 1940. Of the 20 or so who showed up for the meeting at the Clements School, 20
became Charter members of the Clements Buckaroos. They elected Burger their President and made a
trail ride and picnic their first event. The trail ride continues as a popular annual outing.
There was skepticism about whether a pleasure riding group could succeed in a region in which riding and
cattle tending was a chore for the ranchers who made up the core of the population. That skepticism
soon faded. It was apparent that the majority of people in the Clements area had chosen a lifestyle they
could love. Ranching could be hard wearing work, but many of its activities could be a source of great
In 1942, when Phil Thomas was president, the first Clements Stampede and Horseshow was held. It was
purely non-professional round-up and it drew 1500 people. Lee Buck was General Chairman for the show,
launching what was to become a major event in Clements every year. George R. Clements, whose father
founded the town of Clements, was the first Grand Marshall.
The First Clements Stampede and Horseshow was held shortly after the United States entered World
War II, and during the war years its co-sponsor was the Stockton Marine Corps League. Twenty percent
of the show's gete was turned over to the Marine Corps League in 1943 & 1944. The fund raising was
enhanced in 1943 when Ed Bamert, a local cattleman, donated a quality horse to the Buckaroos to be
auctioned off for the war bonds. The following year the club purchased a horse and auctioned it of for
war bond money. Total contribution from the two years was $190,000.
The Rodeo grounds were originally donated by Sally Gillies, but preservation and maintenance is costly.
Without significant local support such as sponsorship by local businesses, the expense presents an
on-going struggle for the Buckaroos.
|History of Clements Buckaroos &